Davis and Deyoe Family History

The Genealogy of Lester and Eleanor Davis

Photos

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 98» Next»     » Slide Show

Loading...


Chateau de Joux

The founding dynasty of the Sires de Joux has been traced back as far as 1050 AD. In 1454, Phillippe the Good, Duke and Count of Bourgogne, bought the fortress, which later fell to Charles Quint in 1530. The second invasion of the Frenche-Compte Region by Louis XIV in 1647 permanently annexed this province to France. The Chateau was a military stronghold and fought off invasions in 1814, 1815 and 1871. Its military history was terminated in 1940 after resisting the German army for eight days.

The castle, with its 1000 years of history, the earliest construction dates back to 1034, is laid out on a 2 hectare (5 acre) site and nicely illustrates the development of defensive structures throughout the ages with massive towers of the Middle Ages, bastions from the time of Vauban (late 17th Century), and a relatively modern fort built in front of the castle by Joffre beginning in 1879.

Three moats complete with drawbridges stand guard before a world of prisons, from the dungeon of the legendary Berthe de Joux to the cells of Mirabeau, Kleist and Toussaint Louverture. The dungeon prison was used in the filming of the movie 'Les Miserable'.

The Castle's great well, a dizzying shaft cut down into the rock by hand 412 feet, is still engraved in the memory of local folk.


Owner/SourceLester B Davis
File name1224 - Deyoe Castle.jpg
File Size67.61k
Dimensions720 x 467

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 98» Next»     » Slide Show




This site powered by The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding ©, v. 10.1.0 alpha 2, written by Darrin Lythgoe 2001-2017.